The Inaugural Atlanta Concours D’elegance At Château Élan Was A Stellar Success, and Panoz Was There.
Panoz came out in force as the premiere sponsor for the inaugural Atlanta Concours d’Elegance, and two-day affair for car lovers and aficionados alike held at Château Élan Winery & Resort Oct. 8-9, 2016.
Majestically laid out on the rolling and scenic Château Élan Golf Club fairways, this first-ever event featured more than 170 vehicle entrants, 40 sponsors, numerous vintage car collections, and car restoration and tech sessions. Our display included Panoz, DeltaWing and Èlan cars such as the new 2017 Avezzano, a 2017 Esperante Convertible, the 1997 GTR-1 Le Mans Homologation Special, and the DeltaWing Coupe fresh from the 2016 Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta.
Others: a limited-edition 2015 Esperante Spyder GT, a 2001 Esperante Convertible, an Esperante GTLMe in 2006 Le Mans-winning No. 81 Team LNT livery, the 2002 Panoz LMP-1 Roadster S “Spirit of America,” the Panoz- Èlan DP01 Champ Car World Series show car, an Èlan DP02 Prototype Lites race car, and the all-new Èlan NP01.
Our very own Don Panoz was the event’s honoree at the Saturday night gala benefitting the Alzeheimer’s Association. Panoz helped raise funds to combat this debilitating disease by supporting the fundraising auction featuring the Avezzano and other items like Hiroki Kato’s race suit from the 2000 24 Hours of Le Mans and an actual DeltaWing Coupe engine cover.
Atlanta Concours d’Elegance top honors belonged to DeNean Stafford III of Tifton, Ga., with his 1909 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, receiving the Atlanta Concours’ 2016 ‘Best of Show.’ The highly documented vehicle is valued at more than $1 million and is the only short-wheel-base chassis of its kind in existence. Elton Steven from Birmingham, Ala. earned the Post-War ‘Best of Show’ honors with his 1961 Maserati Frua, one of two prototypes with a body designed by Carozzeria Frua of Torino and a former Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance champion.
Pictures below from left to right and then down:
- DeNean Stafford III (left) and Sports Car Market Editor and Publisher Keith Martin with Stafford’s Atlanta Concours’ 2016 ‘Best of Show’ 1909 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. Martin served as Honary Head Judge.
- Stan Morel, who drove from Woodbridge, Va., with his son Stanley in his 2003 Esperante, took Best in Class honors in the Panoz class. Of course, Dan Panoz served as a Panoz class judge.
- Stan Morel won Best In Class at the 2016 Atlanta Concours d’Elegance. Below Don Panoz gives Stan and his son Stanley a hearty congratulations for top class honors with Stan’s 2003 Esperante.
- Stan Morel’s 2003 Esperante
- Tony and Kathy Mackevicius’ 2006 Esperante.
- Hayes Harris’ very special polished aluminum Panoz Roadster. Below Honarary Panoz Class Judge Dan Panoz inspects the 1992 Roadster belonging to Steve and ILA Bush, Kennesaw, Ga.